Thursday, June 21, 2012

Embracing the Bomb

For a long long long time I've wanted to do a wee bit of yarn bombing.

I so love a bit of yarn bombing and I think it is the perfect addition to our seaside town, which despite its location does need a bit of colouring up at times.

2012 is the year to embrace the bomb.

After a bit of a practice yarn bomb carried out with a fellow bomber on the tree on a friend's nature strip (doesn't everyone do a practice one first?) our bombing cherry was popped and we were ready for bigger and better things.



I have to admit I've had my big bomb planned for at least...ooh, a year. I think I came up with the idea sometime before last year's International Yarn Bombing Day (yes, there really is such a thing) but in my typical disorganised fashion, it didn't quite happen.

One rainy and dark night, myself and fellow bomber (who shall remain nameless for protection) with our 7 and 8 year olds in tow (it's a really good learning opportunity to experience stealth), descended on the local foreshore to bestow my piece of "art" on a local mermaid.


And doesn't she look happy with it, hey?

That beautiful crocheted bikini was quite a learning experience for me. I am one of the most uncoordinated crocheter in the world. Being a left hander who knits right handed doesn't help. Even my left handed crocheting is quite, um well, unique.  I've worked hard on my technique this year and while my crocheting is neat, seeing me crochet is not pretty and my technique does draw strange looks from real crocheters.  I akin my style to being a bit like a continental crocheter. It looks quite odd but it really really works for me.

So now after learning to read a crochet pattern, and a few other stitchy things to do with crochet; I can now crochet bikinis. Pretty handy really.



A month or two later, and the bikini is now gone. That's despite the fact that I did hand sew the ties together quite firmly.  That's a bit sad, but I guess that's the risk you take with bombing. 

I'm hoping that I'll see someone wearing it on the beach next summer. That way it will at least have gone to a good home.


I love the secrecy and just plain stupid fun of yarn bombing. This certainly won't be the last. We've planned a few other things, and have another friend who is desperate to pop her bombing cherry soon.




7 comments:

  1. Love the bikini as a yarn bomb..very original.. and I'm a lefty too... and have developed my own technique for crocheting, which also received alot of smirking and odd looks from my fellow craft group! But hey it works, so I'll keep at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious!

    I saw some leftover yarn bombing on Lygon St in Carlton when we went there for a weekend back in May. I googled it and it came up with a 'Guerilla Grannies' movement that yarn bombed all over Melbourne. Awesome~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I love the bikini bomb! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was me who posted the last comment. Not sure why it doesn't link back when I post from the phone. I think it is my first time visiting your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! We had a yarn bombing on some sea sculptures near my place as well and they were also wearing bikinis!
    You asked on my blog about blythe clothes and really there is a whole shopping smorgasbord out there, especially on etsy. I have added some to my etsy faves and will be showing off some new outfits on my girls soon. Try as I might to make my own dolly clothes I am lacking in patience and just can't make them as lovely as the ones you can buy. Maybe I just need more practice.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and hear from you, so say hi when you drop in :)