Thursday, November 08, 2012

a teeny tiny cardie

In all honesty, the biggest attraction of getting a Blythe doll was the fun in dressing her.  Changing her outfits, finding the perfect shoes and getting her cute look just right. It's like playing Barbies again, but in a much cooler way. Blythe carries off clothes so so much better than Barbie does. ;)

The first ever knitwear design I ever did was as a kid. I used to knit clothes for our Barbies, they had an incredible array of knitted garments that I made up the patterns for all by myself. I used to have a little notebook where I had all these little patterns written down. I wish I still had that notebook, and I wish I still had at least a few of those Barbie clothes.

I've been desperate to knit something for Blythe ever since Lily got hers, I've just never quite gotten around to it. I probably should have started with my own pattern, but the need for a quick cast on and some mindless knitting saw me cast on the smallest February Sweater I've ever knit!


This was super quick and easy. Given I've knit the February Baby Sweater twice and the February Lady Sweater once, the gull lace is a bit like an old friend. It's probably one of the lace stitches my fingers would resort to knitting automatically.

This pattern is the February Pullip Sweater  by Megan Nordyke. It's a free pattern.

The original pattern calls for Crochet thread, of which I only had black and I wasn't going there. I subbed with some random Shepherd Baby wool leftover from a jumper I knit for Lily when she was just a wee baby.

I think I knit this on 2.75mm needles, perhaps they were 2.25mm.
Either way, it was one of my smaller needles.


Modifications to pattern:
When separating the body and sleeves, I worked the first and last stitch as a kfab, as per my patterns. This minimises any holes under the arms. 
This also gave me an additional four stitches which I worked as a two stitch edging at the front of the cardie.
I also picked up more stitches under the arms and reduced them down, while working the sleeves seamlessly.


Blythe, as you can see, is pretty happy with her new cardie.
It goes perfectly with her favourite skirt.
She's been bugging me to knit her a few more things.
She's also been rifling through my fabric stash picking out fabric for a few dresses.

She's even more incorrigible than Lily!!!





2 comments:

  1. That is adorable! Can you make that for a child size :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure can!

      This is based on a pattern that was based on a child's cardie.

      I've knit the child cardie twice, here: http://ravel.me/tikki/csqdv and here: http://ravel.me/tikki/l9w2r.

      The original child's version is written for just the one size, but I adapted it for older sizings just by subbing a heavier weight yarn.
      The child's version has a circular yoke too, while the doll and lady version has a raglan yoke.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and hear from you, so say hi when you drop in :)